It’s likely you’re familiar with Spotify if you’re a music fan. With it, you can listen to music from all over the world and find similar tracks using an intelligent algorithm. However, it does have one minor flaw. It remains a mystery as to how to change Spotify’s username in spite of its flexible algorithm.
Here’s how you can change your Spotify username based on any of the following methods:
- Method 1: Connect Spotify with Facebook
- On Desktop
- On Mobile (Android and iOS)
- Signing up with Facebook (1st Time)
- Method 2: Change your Display Name
- On Desktop
- On Mobile ( Android and iOS)
In addition to its 345 million monthly users, Spotify also has 150 million subscribers who each have their own username, making it the second most popular music streaming app after Apple Music. Spotify assigns users usernames that are composed of letters and numbers by default, but users can change them later. You cannot however, change your Spotify username easily because there are two kinds of identifiers, namely your ‘Username’ and your ‘Display name.
Creating a permanent username on Spotify allows you to access your account and identify yourself. On the other hand, your display name appears on your profile, app, and playlist when other people view it. It replaces your public username. Spotify does not allow you to log in with your display name, but you can change it easily.
There are some workarounds for changing usernames even though they are permanent. Here you will find a detailed explanation of how you can change your Spotify username across several platforms.
Method One: Connect Spotify with Facebook
Spotify automatically replaces your current username with your Facebook name when you link your account to Facebook. Connecting an existing Spotify account with an existing Facebook account works the same way as signing up for Spotify directly through Facebook. Here’s how:
Connecting Existing Accounts with Facebook
1. Click the drop-down arrow next to your profile picture and name in the top right corner of the Spotify app.
2. Click on settings from the drop-down menu
3. Select the connect to Facebook option under the ‘Social’ setting
4. Click ‘Log In’ and enter your login information
5. You will now see your Facebook name as your username
On Mobile (Android and iOS)
1. To get started, simply click the “Home” icon in your Spotify app on your mobile device
2. Click on the settings icon in the top right corner
3. Click on the ‘Connect to Facebook’ link under the Social tab
4. Enter your email and password and click on Login
5. Your Facebook name will appear as your username after logging in
Signing up with Facebook
1. Visit the Spotify website and click on ‘Sign up.’ A signup page will appear with an option to ‘Sign up with Facebook’ on top
3. Click on the ‘Sign up with Facebook’ button
4. Log in with your Facebook credentials
5. You will be given an account with the same name as your Facebook account
Method Two: Change your Display Name
Display names appear in other people’s feeds or playlists when they visit your profile. You can easily edit them unlike a username.
1. On your desktop, open the Spotify app. Select your profile picture and name from the drop-down arrow at the top right corner
2. From the drop down menu, click on Profile
3. In the following window, your profile page appears, with your display name in bold letters at the top. To change your display name, click on it
4. Enter the new name and click the “Save” button to apply the changes
On Mobile (iOS and Android)
2. Click the “Home” icon in your Spotify app on your mobile device
2. Tap on the Gear icon located at the top right corner of the screen
3. Select the ‘View profile’ link in settings, which is next to your profile picture and display name
4. Then click on ‘Edit Profile’. After you click the next screen, you will be given the option to update your display name and profile picture
5. Click on the display name and enter your desired name
6. Finalize the changes by clicking the ‘Save’ button at the top right corner
It is possible to create a new Spotify account with the username of your choice and then request that data be transferred to the new account if none of the previous options work. In any case, you will need to close your account and cancel your subscription.
If you close your account, you will lose all of your playlists, music libraries, and followers. The Spotify customer support team can assist you in transferring all your data within seven days of closing the old account.
Let’s Wrap this up:
It is your username that represents you on Spotify. Thus, you should have control over how it reads and looks. With the above steps, you should be able to change the Spotify username to anything you want in a matter of minutes.
What other ways are there to change the Spotify username? Comment below!